Update: Google Gears is not compatible with Snow Leopard and will not install. We’ll have to wait for an updated version.
Google Gears is awesome for users of Google Reader and Google Mail, but Apple’s latest updated browser seems to disagree with Gears for some reason. But follow these steps and you will have Gears up and working in no time!
- Uninstall Gears
- Launch Terminal
- From the command prompt, enter the following:
- Reinstall Gears
- Visit http://gears.google.com/?platform=mac#
- Click “Install Gears”
- Accept the license agreement
- Launch “gears-osx-opt-3.dmg” once it’s downloaded
- Install “Google Gears.mpkg”
- Restart Safari
That’s it! For some reason, the Gears install from Safari 3 wouldn’t work in Safari 4, and the gears homepage refused to show the installer. Weird!