Server virtualization is pushing storage into a new world. Luckily, N_Port ID Virtualization and 8 Gb Fibre Channel is here to deliver all the I/O these servers demand. Ellen O’Brien of TechTarget interviewed me about storage virtualization after Storage Decisions last month, and the video is now live on their BitPipe site.
Topics covered include how server virtualization pushes I/O demands, N_Port ID virtualization, storage virtualization technologies, and management challenges. We also talk about where these things are currently and how they can be used today.
Here are some of my trademark Pearls ‘o Wisdom:
- “Systems that, in the past, wouldn’t need high-speed storage, suddenly face a drought of throughput”
- “Without NPIV, storage devices tend to think they’re only talking to one server, but they’re not anymore”
- “We’ve got virtual paths to virtual servers, so let’s have virtual storage as well!”
- “It’s much harder to trace down a cable when that cable doesn’t exist”
- “It’s as if we all suddenly had 200 mph cars – that’s great, but can we ever use them?”